If you’re suffering from acne, let Dr. James Ralston at Dermatology Center of McKinney, your dermatologist in McKinney, TX, help you find the most effective treatment methods.
Acne is a common condition that can range from mild to severe, and it can cause a great deal of discomfort and embarrassment. Though treating acne can take some time, there are several methods that can help. However, the type of treatment you need will depend on your specific condition.
Causes of Acne
Acne is caused when the hair follicles are blocked by oil, dirt, and bacteria. How exactly they become blocked can depend on several different triggers, which include:
- Hormones during puberty, pregnancy, and menstrual cycles
- Specific medications, such as steroids and some depression medications
- Certain beauty products, such as greasy cosmetics
- Emotional stress
Often, you can determine your triggers by keeping a log of your breakouts and what is going on or what products you use at that time.
Treatments for Acne
There are several treatment options for acne, depending on your triggers. Some are home remedies while others require a medical professional.
- Benzoyl peroxide: Benzoyl peroxide has proven to be effective with mild acne, as it can clear out blocked pores. You can get it over-the-counter and apply it a few minutes after washing your face. If you notice any irritation, consult your dermatologist in McKinney, TX. They may recommend the use of azelaic acid, instead.
- Hormonal treatments: If a hormonal imbalance is the cause of your breakouts, you might need medication to help stabilize your hormones.
- Antibiotics: When an infection is present, oral and topical antibiotics are recommended.
- Topical retinoids: Two common topical retinoids used for acne include adapalene and tretinoin, both of which help remove dead skin cells to keep them from clogging your pores.
If your acne has left scars, Dr. Ralston may recommend a skin rejuvenation treatment that can help reduce or eliminate the appearance of scars.
Don’t let acne embarrass you another moment. Schedule an appointment with your Mckinney, TX, dermatologist Dr. Ralston of the Dermatology Center of McKinney, today by calling (972) 548-0333.